President Obama has surrendered to rightwing Republicans and abandoned progressive policies too many times:
- No job creation program for 14 million unemployed Americans
- No public option for healthcare reform
- Extending Bush's tax cuts for the rich at a two-year cost of $858 billion
- Allowing banks to foreclose on fraudulent mortgages and refusing to prosecute bank fraud
- Keeping 50,000 troops in Iraq and adding 100,000 troops in Afghanistan at an annual cost of $160 billion
- Keeping Guantanamo open and using military commissions instead of courts to try terrorists
- Increasing wasteful Pentagon spending
- Expanding catastrophe-prone deep water oil drilling and nuclear power
If President Obama continues to surrender to Republicans, he will:
- Eliminate of funding for PBS, NPR, and Planned Parenthood
- Replace Medicare guarantees with vouchers that could become worthless
- Replace Social Security guarantees with Wall Street funds that could become worthless
- Slash Medicaid for the poor
- Slash public school teachers
- Abandon global warming regulation
These dangers are so profound that progressives must consider alternatives to President Obama. Below are some of the best progressive leaders who meet the qualifications for President - born in the U.S. and over 35.
Would you support any of these leaders in a Democratic primary against President Obama? To cast a vote, click on the name, click Yes/Maybe/No, then click "Beyond Obama" at the top to review the rest of the list.
You can also nominate an outstanding leader who deserves consideration.